Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Honoring a wonderful woman.

Sadly, on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 Frank's mom, Karla, passed away. She had fallen and cracked her pelvis on May 4th and the doctor wanted to keep her in a rehab situation for a couple of weeks. We had her moved to IF on Thursday, May 8th. We were able to visit everyday and were so shocked when Nyla called and said she died in her sleep on Tuesday afternoon.

Monday, May 19th was her funeral and I think she would have been very proud of her family. Every grandchild except Rob (who is in New Zealand on a mission) was able to attend. Fifteen of them! And all of her great-grandchildren as well. It was a time to bond as brothers, sisters, cousins, and other extended family.

We all felt so bad because Cindi became so sick that she was hospitalized and almost didn't make it to the funeral. Her three kids were amazing at how they stepped up and represented her so wonderfully.

Theresa spent hours putting together a wonderful slideshow for us all to watch. She really has a talent for it and was even offered a job by the Eckersell Funeral Home to do it for others! She was also asked to give the opening prayer for the services. It was hard but she did a wonderful job.

Being as organized as she was, Karla had her obituary and funeral program written out and on her dresser!

Frank delivered the most beautiful family prayer. He had us in tears with his emotion. I was so proud of him. Terry had a really tough time throughout the weekend.

Shondi delivered the life sketch and did a beautiful job. You could feel the love that she had for her grandma. Each grandchild certainly had special memories of her as the "best grandma" in the world. Her life was devoted to each and every one of them. She was always so proud of them and anything they asked she would do! But, she was that way as mom as well.

Theresa put it in the most appropriate way to me, "The older grandkids loved her because she served them. The younger grandkids loved her because they served her."

I also had the honor of speaking at the funeral. Wow, I didn't know if I could carry it off but it went quite well. Of course there were many things I wish I would have said, but how do you condense a life of almost 80 years into just a few minutes? As I was preparing for my talk, it came to me that my mom died when I was 38 years old and I have been married to Frank for 41 years so Karla has been in my life longer than my own mom.

Nyla and Kristy presented a beautiful flute and piano duet. I am so glad that Nyla has kept her talent up of playing the flute all of these years.

We had also asked Robert Coleman to speak as him and his wife, Karen, were so supportive of Karla through the years. He added the spiritual meaning to the service. The new bishop, Scott Blackham, did a wonderful job for his first funeral and gave some very appropriate remarks.

The closing song was all of the grandkids and great grandkids singing a small medley of primary songs. From Theresa to Tenlee. That had us all in tears. What a beautiful posterity for her. I wish I could have taken a photo of them all up there.

The closing prayer was given by Layne Terry. Yes, Layne! He was always so kind and considerate of Karla, even after him and Brandi were divorced. Him and Val were the first to send flowers when she was hurt.

Uncle Joe Mortensen dedicated the grave with some very humble words.

It was a sad day for us all but we were so lucky to have her in our lives. Now her body is without pain of arthritis and other aches. She is reunited with those she loved that went before. Why are we so sad when we know she is in a better life? I guess we are sad for ourselves living life without her.

3 comments:

Ron said...

Testing this out. This is great. Thanks for treating me so well at the funeral.

If you get a family reuion going, I'd love to be there and get to know your kids and tell them stories about Frank. And believe me, I have stories about Frank.

Anonymous said...

WoW! well written! You need to put this in your journal!

Sharie said...

I was so sorry to hear about Frank's mom. I always remember her having a smile on her face and being surrounded by her grandkids. I hope you and the rest of the family is doing well and hanging in there - I love ya!